- StarCraft and StarCraft: BroodWar no longer require the CD while playing the game. To play without the CD, please follow the following instructions:
- Make sure you have "Hide extensions for known types" unchecked. To do this please use the following steps:
- Click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Windows Explorer
- Click on Tools -> Folder options (Windows Vista users may have to press the Alt key to see the tools option at the top of the window)
- Click on the View Tab In the list, look for the "Hide extensions for known file types" option, and make sure that it is unchecked.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now you will need to copy some files from the Game CDs
- If you own only StarCraft, copy "INSTALL.EXE" from the StarCraft CD to your StarCraft folder and rename it to "StarCraft.mpq".
- If you own StarCraft: Brood War, copy "INSTALL.EXE" from the StarCraft: Brood War CD to your StarCraft folder and rename it to "BroodWar.mpq". If you wish to play the StarCraft original missions then please copy and rename the install file from the original StarCraft CD as well, as listed directly above.
- If you own only StarCraft, copy "StarCraft Archive" from the StarCraft CD to your StarCraft/StarCraft Files/ folder.
- If you own StarCraft: Brood War, copy "Brood War Archive" from the StarCraft: Brood War CD to your StarCraft/StarCraft Files/ folder. If you wish to play the StarCraft original missions then please copy the Starcraft Archive file from the original StarCraft CD as well, as listed directly above.
- Made stability improvements to replay saving code.
- Fixed a bug where the map download progress was not shown.
- Pressing alt-f4 while in Starcraft and logged into a league now logs you out of the league.
- Updated some of the localization for the league page.
- Fixed an exploit that allowed nukes to fall anywhere on the map.
- For Top vs. Bottom games, the default chat filter is now 'Chat To Allies'.
- In-game chat messages now show the speaker's name in his/her team color.
- Users can now use the mouse wheel to scroll chat and selection boxes in
Windows 98 (or later) and Macintosh OS X.
- Screen shots now use a time/date stamp; they are no longer limited to 100.
- The high-color application icon from the Macintosh version is now used on PC.
- Small corrections to the Lost Temple and Dire Straits maps.
- Fixed Hatchery cancellation crash bug.
- Fixed crash that can occur when SCVs are repairing a unit boarding a Dropship.
- Fixed crash when Mac users very quickly cancel connection to Battle.net.
- Fixed a scoring bug that gave Zerg unit points for building cancellation.
- Users can now take screen shots on Macintosh OS X.
- Updated Battle.net account creation information text.
- Logging onto an account closed for a Battle.net Terms of Service violation
will now say the account is closed, rather than 'invalid password'.
- Fixed bug preventing Portuguese StarCraft clients from receiving patches from
Battle.net. Portuguese users must still patch to this level manually, but
subsequent patches can be obtained automatically from Battle.net.
- No longer displays control characters in Battle.net's map description pane.
- Color codes and control codes are no longer allowed in chat messages.
- Fixed a crash in StarEdit when attempting to save modified Blizzard maps.
- Fixed undesired text wrapping in Spanish and Portuguese Battle.net screens.
- Fixed a rare crash in multiplayer games.
- Fixed the Nydus Canal cancellation bug that allowed creating a mobile exit.
- Fixed two exploits that allowed players to gain minerals very quickly.
- Fixed exploit that allowed Zerg buildings to become cloaked.
- Fixed exploit that allowed units to kill themselves instantly.
- Fixed exploit that allowed Command Center infestation without a Queen.
- Fixed exploit that allowed Command Center infestation from a distance.
- Fixed exploit that allowed players to float Zerg Drones over obstacles.
- Fixed exploit that allowed worker units to mine at a distance.
- Fixed exploit that allowed Terran buildings to lift off while training units.
- Fixed exploit that allowed SCVs to repair Protoss buildings.
- Fixed exploit that allowed SCVs to detach Larvae from Hatcheries.
- Fixed exploit that allowed morphing Terran and Protoss buildings.
- Fixed exploit that allowed buildings to be stacked on top of each other.
- Playing against illegally named players on Battle.net no longer results in a
disconnect game result.
- Fixed a bug that allowed SCV's to heal Marines.
- Fixed a bug that allowed Zerg to build without the need for creep.
- Fixed a bug that allowed buildings to be stacked on top of each other.
- Fixed a Mac bug that prevented StarEdit from running.
- Fixed a Mac bug where background music stopped after the first piece.
- Fixed a bug that hindered sound on NT machines.
- Fixed a bug that enabled you to make a Command Center slide into a location
by building a Comstat Station then canceling it due to lack of resources.
- Fixed a bug related to a Drone flying when surrounded by other units.
- Fixed a bug that would give you an assertion when you tell a drone to burrow
as it is about to morph into a building.
- Fixed a bug that caused Templars to fly across the map when interrupting an
- Fixed a bug involving a drone getting confused when receiving a second build
order while in transit to complete the first one