I think this is an excellent movie...good clean fun and there isn't near enough of that on the screen these days! I love the music, (I have always liked Paul Williams' music) the dancing, the kids AND the pedal cars! All in all a great movie. Great costuming, too. It's hard to get pre-pubescent girls to look like vamps but those costumes did a lot in that direction.
The only part that I didn't like was the "Fat Sam" character whose "New Yawk" accent was just a little bit overdone. But I think they did a little play on that when Fat Sam said the word "personally" & Tallulah was making fun of his pronunciation!
It's a shame more of these kids didn't go on to become stars. Maybe their acting wasn't top notch but some of those faces were "wow"! Scott Biao & Jodie Foster are the only two who seem to have went anywhere with their talents.
* All singing was dubbed by adult vocalists.
* All of the cast were 16 or under at the time of filming.
* The splurge guns did not actually fire the "splurge". Director Alan Parker first tried wax balls filled with cream but these hurt when fired, so in the end the splurge guns actually fired ping pong balls, which the actors fired at nothing and what we see on-screen is clever editing between this and shots of actors being hit by handfuls of cream thrown at them by others.
* When looking for Fat Sam, director Alan Parker went to a Brooklyn classroom and asked who was the naughtiest boy in class; all the class replied John Cassisi, who subsequently got the part.
* Florrie Dugger was at first only given a minor part - until the original actress meant to play Blousey underwent a growth spurt and became taller than Bugsy (Scott Baio), and Dugger was given the role of Blousey.
Scott Baio ... Bugsy Malone
Florrie Dugger ... Blousey Brown
Jodie Foster ... Tallulah
John Cassisi ... Fat Sam
Martin Lev ... Dandy Dan
Paul Murphy ... Leroy Smith / Gangster
Sheridan Earl Russell ... Knuckles (as Sheridan Russell)
Albin 'Humpty' Jenkins ... Fizzy
Paul Chirelstein ... Smolsky / Boxer
Andrew Paul ... O'Dreary
Davidson Knight ... Cagey Joe
Michael Jackson ... Razamataz
Jeffrey Stevens ... Louis
Peter Holder ... Ritzy
Donald Waugh ... Snake Eyes
Language:English | Italian
Filming Locations:Black Park Country Park, Wexham, Buckinghamshire, England, UK