Choosing a multimedia player used to be a real no-brainer. However, during recent times the raft of new features and updates added to classic media players like Winamp, Windows Media Player, and even iTunes have left the apps increasingly bloated. Far from being the slick, well-oiled machines they once were, these programs have been stuffed with so much that they are in danger of ending up like a sluggish, overweight athlete still holding on to past glories.
For those looking for a fresh alternative to these ballooning apps, The KM Player could be your ticket. The application has a small desktop footprint and its minimalist interface, somewhat akin to the original Winamp 5, means that access and playback are quick and hassle-free. Like Winamp, the interface is fully skinable, and there are some nice aesthetic touches, such as the changing of colour on the player with every new track. There are all sorts of options to help you pimp your player, such as visualizations, plug-ins and playback options, but the beauty of KM Player is that these are turned on at your request rather than being forced upon you at the outset.
The application handles both audio and video, and supports a wide range of different formats, meaning that once installed, you should never need to touch another player. Video playback is particularly impressive thanks to the range of processing tools available that allow you to sharpen, change picture properties, apply filters and even make video captures from within the program.
Recent changes in KMPlayer:
* Fixed “No response” error when using the seek feature.
* Reduced “No response” errors.
* Improved file open feature when opening similar files.
* Fixed “Media library error (UAC)” when closing KMP on Windows Vista.
* Updated Mediainfo.dll (Version 0.7.6.4 ).
* Included New KMPlayer skin (NewKMPSkin(beta).ksf).
* Setup wizard and installation program added.
* Updated multi-language pack.
* EXE file is not compressed.
* Updated EULA policy.
* Updated default KMPlayer icon and connected programs.
* Fixed remaining icons on the start menu after uninstallation on Windows Vista.
* Now uninstallation fully deletes all remained files.
* When installed in English, the shortcut will lead to the English forum of the official KMP site.