RELEASE NOTE for Nokia Series 40 Theme Studio 2.2 (14 November 2006)
The Nokia Series 40 Theme Studio is a PC-based tool for creating
themes for compatible Series 40 devices. The Theme Studio allows
themes to be created, viewed, and compared before being packaged
for distribution. Theme packages can be downloaded to compatible
devices over the air (OTA) or using supported messaging or PC
- Nokia Series 40 themes 2.2 can be composed using this tool. Such
themes may comprise of various customizable image elements like
wallpaper, screensaver, backgrounds, highlights, menu icons, etc.
as well as audio elements like ringtones, alerts, etc.
- Themes can be deployed to supported handsets by installing
Nokia PC Suite 6.6 or later version. The handsets have to be
connected to the PC Suite before themes can be deployed from
- Supported Audio theme elements can be previewed from Theme Studio
by installing Apple QuickTime 7.
New Features in V2.2:
- New display simulation: 208x208
- Idle screen specific attributes added for idle status and softkey areas,
and idle outline font color.
- Idle screen specific attributes separated from default attributes.
The previous Idle screen tab is moved under Idle tab. The Idle tab
contains now both the Idle screen and Active Idle screen.
Default tab contains non-idle specific attributes that in release 2.1
were in the Idle screen tab.
- New screen called Profile Settings for displaying form specific
attributes. Editor for form attributes is located in Apps > Forms.
- Element dimensions are displayed in the Theme Editor where applicable.
Some of the theme elements are used in several places in the handset
and therefore the dimensions might vary depending where the elements
System Requirements: (Recommended)
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 or Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2
- 2.6 GHz Pentium processor or faster
- 512 MB RAM or more
- 125 MB disk space or more recommended
- Display 1024 x 768 pixels or more with 16 bit color or more
- The tool allows FlashLite (.swf), SVG-T (.svg) contents to be
selected for any image element of the theme. But some actual handsets
may ignore or not allow these media types when used as highlights.
- The 208x208 display does not support the new theme elements introduced
in this theme release and therefore the idle screen and forms use
different theme elements than the other display sizes. In addition,
the audio and radio screens behave differently from other displays
and use different theme elements.
- The tool does not accept zero values for the different sound durations.
If you change the default durations once to a valid value, you can't
get the default durations back by setting the value to zero, instead
the previous valid value is returned.
Workaround: Set the default values back by inserting the correct values
directly to the fields.
for startup and shutdown: 3000 ms
for Flip/slipe open/close: 1000 ms
or set the values to be zero by editing the theme descriptor
XML file after you have finished editing everything else
using Theme Studio.
- Simulations of different animations and fonts in the tool may not
match the actual handsets exactly, since the tool runs on a PC
environment. In addition, there are differences between older and new phone
models and therefore some theme elements might display differently between
For example, some phones might display default status and softkey
backgrounds, if those are not set in the theme explicitly. The tool
displays these default images in 240x320 display size previews, but some
phones of that display size do not include these default blue backgrounds.
Workaround: Try the themes on actual handsets.
- If more than 15-20 themes are opened using Theme Studio, the
performance of the tool may decrease.
Workaround: Close themes you are not actively working on, and
minimize and restore the Theme Studio window to release
some memory. If the virtual memory usage of Theme Studio
goes above 300MB, close and reopen the tool.
- If you toggle the display simulation from the toolbar when viewing
any theme, you may not be able to change the screen view using the
Workaround: Select the desired screen view from Screen Options or
All Screens panel.
- If you open a theme which has custom theme attributes or values
that are not supported by the tool, such attributes and values may
be ignored by the tool, and maybe lost when the theme is saved again.
Workaround: Add your custom attributes and values to the theme
descriptor XML file after you have finished editing
everything else using Theme Studio.
- Offline registration is not possible
Copyright ? 2006 Nokia Corporation. All rights reserved.
Nokia and Nokia Connecting People are registered trademarks of Nokia
Corporation. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be
trademarks or trade names of their respective owners.