Known bugs and limitations
= System requirements =
- Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Server 2003
- about 4 megabytes of free space on hard disk
- about 260 megabytes of free memory to process RAR 2.9 and 3.x archives
= Overview =
Advanced RAR Password Recovery (ARPR) is a password retrieval program for the RAR/WinRAR archiving format.
The key features of ARPR are:
- ARPR has a convenient and easy to use user interface;
- ARPR works with one protected file at a time (multiple uses of ARPR is possible);
- all compression methods are supported;
- self-extracting archives are supported;
- you can select the custom character set for "brute-force" attack (non-English characters are supported);
- you can interrupt the program at any time. Resuming is supported;
- ARPR can work in the background, using the CPU only when it is in an idle state;
- ARPR can utilise either a customizable "brute-force" approach, or an effective dictionary-based approach. The different approaches can be used for all RAR types and compression methods using AES (Rijndael) 128-bit encryption, e.g., set the password length (range) of the character set used to generate the passwords, and many other options;
- A multilingual interface is provided.
= Known bugs and limitations =
- If the archive contains only one encrypted file and it is "stored" (without compression, just with encryption) -- the performance might be lower than expected, especially on large files, because decrypting the whole file is required.
- For RAR archives created in versions 2.9 and 3.x, the recovery speed is extremely low (due to very strong encryption).
- Some multi-volume archives are not supported
= Contact information =
Please send your suggestions and bug reports to [email protected] (don't forget to mention what version of ARPR you're using). The most current version of ARPR is always available at:
Also, have a look at our Advanced Archive Password Recovery (ARCHPR) software, which works not only with RAR archives, but also with ARJ, ZIP and ACE (1.x):
Other password recovery products (for Microsoft Office and other Microsoft applications: Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, Visio, VBA, MS Backup, MS Project, MS Mail, MS Schedule+; Lotus Organizer, Lotus 1-2-3, Lotus WordPro, Lotus Approach; Corel WordPerfect, Paradox and QuattroPro; ACT!; Intuit Quicken and QuickBooks; Adobe Acrobat PDF; most popular email clients and instant messengers; Windows 2000/XP Encrypting File System on NTFS; Windows NT/2000/XP user passwords; Windows PWL/RAS/dial-up/VPN/shares/asterisked passwords) are available at: