FL Studio is a fully featured, open-architecture music creation & production
environment for PC. No extra software is required to produce any style of
music, as a complete kit of instruments and studio tools is included in the
cost of the package. With the included plugins, sounds and tools the user can
create complete songs, backing tracks, loops or sizzling beats. Completed songs
can be saved to WAV, MP3, OGG, MIDI.
FL Studio is a full-featured sequencer perfectly suited for creation of
complex songs and realistic drum loops, with 32 bit internal mixing and
advanced MIDI support. The resulting song or loop can be exported to a
WAV/MP3 file and all MIDI events can be exported to a standard MIDI file.
FL Studio is a pattern based sequencer, which means you create your songs
in pieces (patterns) using the Step Sequencer and the Piano Roll view and
then weld those pieces together using the Playlist window (the Playlist also
supports full-featured audio tracks with hardrrive streaming). Then you can
add a wide range of effects to your instruments (reverb, phaser, flanger etc.)
and route the resulting mixer tracks in any way you like to create complex
mixing chains with ease.
Image Line has released FL Studio 8, the complete music production environment.
Representing the culmination of more than 10 years of sustained development, FL
Studio 8 is now the most flexible virtual music studio in the industry.
Chief Software Architect, Didier Dambrin has realized his vision of creating an
open-architecture virtual studio environment where the only constraint on the
users is their own imagination. This philosophy is reflected in FL Studio 8'S
flexible audio & control data routing, free-form Playlist design &
interoperability with industry standards (VST/VSTi/VST2, DXi, DXi2, Buzz,
ReWire, MIDI, MP3, WAV, OGG). Didier notes ?We don't try to protect our data &
come up with new formats only for marketing reasons. We use existing standards
as much as possible, and allow FL Studio to be used as a plugin in other hosts.
In version 8, particular emphasis has been given to improved workflow through
enhanced interface design, so that ideas can be crystallized and creativity
- Internal 32 bit floating point mixing, up to 96kHz stereo.
- Supports DirectSound and ASIO enabled sound cards for audio output.
- Ability to function as a VSTi, DXi and a ReWire client.
- Ability to host ReWire clients itself.
- Realtime linear interpolation & sophisticated interpolation algorithms
at rendering time.
- Open architecture allowing third-party instruments (enhanced proprietary
FL instruments standard, VSTi and DXi2) and effects (enhanced proprietary
FL effects standard, VST, VST2 and DirectX).
- A full set of high-precision mastering and special effects filters: reverb,
compressor, procedural equalizer, distortion, phaser, flanger, bass boost,
delay line and other.
- Advanced sequencing methods allowing quick entering of realistic drum loops
(step sequencing grid) and composing complex instrumentals (advanced piano
roll, arpeggiator, keyboard tracking, real-time gate).
- Unique note properties morphing ability (pitch, cutoff, resonance, panning).
- Advanced mixer:
* 68 mixer tracks (64 insert & 4 send tracks) supporting up to 8 filters each
* mixer tracks rerouting for creating of complex mixer chains
* track recording with ASIO input support (for recording MIDI, vocals etc.)
* integrated procedural equalizer, volume and panning for each mixer track.
- Integrated instruments: Sampler, TS404 (the popular bassline engine), 3xOSC
(subsynth), Plucked! (plucked strings), MIDI Out, DX10 (FM synth), Scratcher
(turntable emulator), WaveTraveller (wave bend synth), Wasp (demo), SimSynth
Live (demo), and more.
- Advanced playlist & full-featured audio tracks.
- Live recording of control movements & integrated automation events editor.
- Easy MIDI remote controlling of most parameters
(VST plugins supported as well).
- Procedural control over parameters by using special controller plugins.
- Click removal & volume ramping to avoid pops.
- Imports *.WAV, *.SYN (SimSynth 1 & 2), *.DS (DrumSynth) files,
with effects applied.
- Imports MIDI sequences and controller events.
- Exports audio to 16Bit or 32Bit *.WAV file, *.MP3.
- Can export MIDI notes & controller events to a standard MIDI file.
What's New in v8?:
* FL Engine/Interface
* Cleartype not forced on anymore for mixer labels for Win9X platforms
(and there was much rejoicing!).
* Added recording filter (right-click record button). Choose to record
Audio, Automation or Note data independently.
* Menu icons replaced by global down arrows for a more consistent GUI.
* New spectral view in monitor panel.
* Event automation now displayed in pattern clips.
* Channels in piano roll channel selector are now sorted by channel group.
* New list of available patterns when right-clicking the pattern selector.
* Patterns named '-pattern name' now act as separators in lists.
* Added mouse wheel support to popup menus & combo selectors.
* Added plugin interface thumbnail pictures to project browser
(manual process to add) .
* Generator smart disable is now compatible with threaded rendering.
* Added OGG Vorbis rendering (open source compressed audio format).
* Some FL plugins now support .ogg format audio.
* Never lose a keyboard performance. The new score logger records all
MIDI activity from controller keyboards and the 'typing-piano keyboard'
in a 3 minute buffer.
* Updated MP3 codec (LAME 3.97).
* One-click audio recording now prompts to record in Edison.
* Default audio device changed to ASIO4ALL.
* Sinc interpolator now faster (64point sinc now usable real-time
if you have a fast CPU).
* FL Studio can permanently learn and remember links to external controllers.
* The new 'multilink' function + 'Override generic links' option.
* Tweaking controls on VST(i)s now show a hint message in FL's hint bar
* Rendering with latency compensation.
* Introducing FL-chan in wallpapers.