This engaging book tells the story of human evolution, asking if man is indeed the “chosen species” or merely an evolutionary accident.
* Written by world-renowned paleoanthropologists who are co-directors of the excavations at Atapuerca---a World Heritage Site and Europe’s oldest known burial site---where a new human species, homo antecessor, was discovered
* Discusses various hypotheses of human evolution, drawing conclusions from verifiable facts and well-founded argument
* Offers a compelling narrative written for nonspecialists and students of human evolution
* Includes over 60 illustrations
* Sold over 100,000 copies in the original Spanish-language edition
Is modern man the logical conclusion of a long evolutionary journey? Or are humans merely an evolutionary accident? The Chosen Species answers these and many other questions about our origins.Authors Juan Luis Arsuaga and Ignacio Martinez are world-renowned paleoanthropologists and co-directors of the excavations at Atapuerca---a World Heritage Site and Europe's oldest known burial site---where their team discovered a new human species, homo antecessor. Their work at Atapuerca has changed the way we see human evolution. Here, the authors draw on their experience to tell the story of human evolution. They reconstruct the sequence of events, give an account of how, when, and why man evolved, and draw conclusions based on verifiable facts and well-founded argument. The Chosen Species combines scientific rigor with a spellbinding style that will keep readers gripped as they follow the tale to its end.