With this comprehensive resource, you'll uncover the ins-and-outs of installing, configuring, and running the Apache Tomcat server. This book not only provides a line-by-line analysis of configuration options, but also explores the features and capabilities of Tomcat. You'll then gain the skills to solve the type of problems that arise during all phases of system administration, including shared hosting, security, system testing, and performance testing and tuning.
Focusing exclusively on Tomcat 6, the book takes you through all of the latest architectural and performance changes. You'll progress from basic Tomcat and web application configuration to more advanced techniques for clustering, JDBC connectivity, logging, and much more. All of this will help you effectively manage and administer your Tomcat deployment.
What you will learn from this book
* How to install the JVM and Tomcat on Windows and Unix/Linux systems
* Steps for packaging and deploying web applications
* Configuring Tomcat's internal HTTP protocol stack, including the new APR and NIO Connectors
* Deploying Tomcat with the Apache Web server or Microsoft IIS as the front-end Web servers
* Load balancing and clustering a farm of Tomcat servers
* Ways to install Tomcat in virtual hosting situations
* How to load test web applications deployed in Tomcat
* Monitoring Tomcat servers in real-time by tapping into internally maintained statistics
* Techniques for providing scalability and high availability to web applications
* Performance tips and best practices for Tomcat 6
Date: 13 August, 2007
Author: Vivek Chopra, Sing Li, Jeff Genender