You haven't experienced the full potential of Xbox 360 or Windows until you've created your own homebrewed games for these innovative systems. With Microsoft's new XNA Framework, the only thing limiting you is your imagination. Now professional game developer and Microsoft DirectX MVP Benjamin Nitschke shows you how to take advantage of the XNA Game Studio Express tools and libraries in order to build cutting-edge games.
Whether you want to explore new worlds or speed down a city block in a souped up dragster, this book will get you up and running quickly. You'll learn how to implement 3D models, generate huge landscapes, map cool-looking shaders to your 3D objects, and much more. Nitschke also steps you through the development of your first fully functional racing game. You'll then be able to apply this information as you write your own XNA cross-platform games.
What you will learn from this book
* Tricks for managing the game engine and user interface
* How to program an old school shooter game and space adventure
* Tips for improving racing game logic and expanding your game ideas
* Methods for integrating amazing visual effects using advanced shader techniques
* Steps for adding sound and music with XACT-bringing your game to life
* How to fine-tune and debug your game for optimal performance
Date: 30 April, 2007
Author: Benjamin Nitschke