I started the Nero Lite project about 2 years ago when Nero 7 was released. When I got into creating unattended windows installation I also wanted more software included on the cd. However a standard CD was just too small to cover a full Nero MSI. Even worse, unattended options didn’t work and altering the Nero MSI for each update was too much work.
So I decided to create a own installer. It was just trial and error removing files of the Nero setup and testing these changes.
First versions were just simple file copying setups, but people liked the idea of a rewritten setup and kept asking for more features and multi-language installers.
Activation of Nero serial numbers didn’t work in early versions. So if you did not have previously installed a Nero full version the software didn’t work. This was a big problem to solve, since activation of Nero keys normally happens when running the MSI. Luckily I discovered the Nero ProductSetup tool which also provides a user interface to enter serial numbers. This hack basically works even in latest versions.
After time Nero 7 became bigger on each update, so my solution was to reshack some files. This became the Nero Micro release.
When Nero 8 came out almost all files included big resources resulting in a 60 MB Nero Lite installer. I put a lot of effort in to write more resource scripts to trim all these files to use smaller icons and 8-bit bitmaps.
In last updates the setup hasn’t changed that much, but I have improved work on the Nero Lite SDK.
Since last Nero 7 Lite didn’t contain all these resource scripts it took a bit of work to port back all changes to support Nero 18.104.22.168. When doing this I also fixed some Nero 8 Lite bugs.
To maintain such a large project is very useful to me, and automating does save time after all.