These directions were found at:
1. Connect 256 MB flash drive or larger
2. Run USB Disk Storage Format usb_format.zip (34KB)
- Make sure the filesystem is FAT32, do not quick format, do not create startup disk
3. Run grubinst_gui Grub 4 Dos grub4dos.zip (147KB)
- Select your flash drive for the 'disk' dropdown
- in the 'part list' dropdown choose 'Whole Disk (MBR)'
- Click install
4. Copy grldr and menu.lst (from grub4dos.zip) to the usb drive
- These are in the directory you unzipped grub4dos to
- grldr and menu.lst are now in the root directory of your flash drive
5. Insert Hiren's boot CD 9.7 or newer, and copy everything on the CD to the flash drive.
- HBCD folder is now in the root of your flash drive
6. Restart and boot from USB
- You may need to set the options in your bios to do this
- Or you might be able to press f11/f12 for boot menu and select your flash drive