the stephanie miller show 2009-07-10
• Comedian John Fugelsang joins us in studio at 8am Pacific to talk about the news of the day and promote his upcoming gigs.
Meltdown AIG• AIG Insurance is preparing to pay millions of dollars more in bonuses to several dozen top corporate executives after an earlier round of payments set off a national furor. The troubled insurance giant has been pressing the federal government to bless the payments in hopes of shielding itself from renewed public outrage.
• The White House says it expects “frank” but constructive talks in President Obama’s meeting today with Pope Benedict XVI - two men who share similar views on helping the poor and pushing for Middle East peace, but disagree on abortion and stem cell research.
• CIA Director Leon Panetta has ordered an internal inquiry into the agency’s handling of a contentious and still highly classified program that has caused heated dispute between the CIA and Dems on the House Intelligence Committee.
• Sen. Roland Burris (D-IL) will today be announcing that he will not run for re-election in 2010. In addition to his problems regarding the details of his appointment to the seat by ousted former Gov. Rod Blagojevich, Burris has raised just $845 for the 2010 cycle.
• In April 2008, Sen. John Ensign’s parents each made gifts to the campaign staffer he had his affair with, her husband, and two of their children in the form of a check totaling $96,000. The payments were made as gifts, accepted as gifts, and complied with tax rules governing gifts.