Stephanie Miller Show - July 23 2009
• Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD) calls in at 6:30am Pacific to handicap the president’s health care reform press conference last night.
• Rep. Ron Kind (D-WI) calls in at 7:30am Pacific to talk to us about the president’s health care reform press conference last night.
• Eric Boehlert, Senior Fellow at Media Matters for America, calls in at 8:30am Pacific to talk about “Birthers,” people who are still demanding to see President Obama’s birth certificate.
• President Obama sought last night to rally support for sweeping health care legislation he’s struggling to push through Congress, expressing support for a surtax on families making more than $1 million a year to help pay for it. He also vowed to reject any measure “primarily funded through taxing middle-class families.”
• Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) announced yesterday he plans to vote for Supreme Court nominee Judge Sonia Sotomayor, bucking the views of most of his conservative GOP colleagues. Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ) and Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss) announced yesterday that they plan to oppose the judge.
• The Senate yesterday narrowly rejected a controversial measure to allow people to carry concealed weapons from state to state. The measure would have required each of the 48 states that currently allow concealed firearms to honor permits issued in other states.