• House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-SC) calls in at 6:05am Pacific to talk about health care reform and the Sotomayor hearings.
• Ian Millhiser, Legal Policy Analyst for the Center for American Progress, calls in at 6:30am Pacific to talk about the Sotomayor confirmation hearings.
schakowsky• Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-IL) calls in at 7:30am Pacific to talk about health care reform and the Sotomayor hearings.
• U.S. Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor said yesterday that her hotly disputed judicial philosophy is, in fact, quite simple: Remain faithful to the law. In her first day of hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Sotomayor sat impassively as senators detailed a deep divide between Dems and GOP on whether she is the best choice to fill the vacancy left by Justice David Souter’s retirement.
• Congressional demands for an investigation grew Monday over new disclosures that a secret CIA program to capture or kill Al Qaida leaders was concealed from Congress for 8 years, perhaps at the behest of former Vice President Dick Cheney. The program was cancelled last month by CIA Director Leon Panetta shortly after he himself first learned of it.
• President Obama yesterday pressed Democratic leaders to pass health care reform legislation in both houses of Congress before August and expressed confidence about the ultimate outcome for his top domestic priority. “Don’t bet against us. We are going to make this thing happen,” the president proclaimed.