In this video three people talk of their experiences with social phobia and teach the techniques that they have used to help overcome it. These techniques are taught in plain language by these three people and by Professor Ron Rapee, Professor of Psychology, Macquarie University, and Dr Lisa Lampe, a consultant psychiatrist specialising in the treatment of social phobia. This video is a complement to Ron Rapee's book Overcoming Shyness and Social Phobia.
The video gives a general overview of social phobia, before moving on to teach, in some detail, practical strategies for overcoming it.
Cognitive behaviour therapy has proven to be the most successful treatment for social phobia yet developed. It involves common sense and practical notions of how to recover, yet it is based on years of psychological research. This video will teach you to use these tools that have worked so well for other people, and that have been proven to be effective. The video has also been used very successfully by health professionals in clinical and teaching situations, and as a training and discussion tool for group therapy.
* What is social phobia and how is it treated?
* Self monitoring
* Cognitive behaviour therapy - realistic thinking
* Cognitive behaviour therapy - graded exposure
* Managing general anxiety - meditation
* The role of medication
What sets I think they think... apart from other mental health videos?
* The techniques are taught by people who actually have (or have had) social phobia
* You get to know these people as they talk to you about how they overcame their social phobia
* The video was produced in consultation with a leading expert in the treatment of social phobia
* We are not aware of any other videos dealing specifically with social phobia
* This video was NOT produced in affiliation with any pharmaceutical company