American Pop is a 1981 American animated film directed by Ralph Bakshi. The film tells the story of four generations of a Russian Jewish immigrant family of musicians whose careers parallel the history of American popular music.
The majority of the film's animation was completed through rotoscoping, a process in which live actors are filmed and the subsequent footage is used for animators to draw over. However, the film also uses a variety of other mixed media including water colors, computer graphics, live action shots, and archival footage.
Attraverso quattro generazioni, la storia di una famiglia: da Zamie, figlio di un immigrato russo, a suo figlio Benny, al figlio di questi, Tony e, ultimo, Pete. Tutti con ambizioni musicali (e con molta musica come cornice) ma con destini diversi.
* "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" written by Bob Dylan
* "American Pop Overture" arranged by Lee Holdridge
* "Anything Goes" written by Cole Porter
* "As Time Goes By" written by Herman Hupfeld
* "Bill" written by Jerome Kern/Wodehouse/Oscar Hammerstein II, performed by Helen Morgan
* "Blue Suede Shoes" written by Carl Perkins
* "Body & Soul" written by Johnny Green / Edward Heyman / Frank Eyton / Robert Sour
* "California Dreamin'" written by The Mamas & the Papas
* "Cantaloupe Island" composed by Herbie Hancock
* "Charleston" written by Cecil Mack/Jimmy Johnson
* "Crazy on You" written by Ann Wilson / Nancy Wilson / Roger Fisher of Heart
* "Devil With The Blue Dress On" written by Shorty Long
* "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" written by Bob Dylan
* "Free Bird" written by Collins / Vanzandt, performed by Lynyrd Skynyrd
* "Give My Regards to Broadway" written by George M. Cohan
* "Hell Is for Children" performed by Pat Benatar
* "I Don't Care" Sullivan / Lennox
* "I Got Rhythm" George Gershwin / Ira Gershwin
* "I'm Waiting for the Man" written by Lou Reed
* "Look for The Silver Lining", written by Jerome Kern/Oscar Hammerstein II
* "Maple Leaf Rag" composed by Scott Joplin
* "Moanin'" written by Bobby Timmons, performed by Art Blakey
* "Mona Lisa" written by Livingston / Evans
* "Nancy (With The Laughing Face)" written by Jimmy Van Heusen / Phil Silvers
* "Night Moves" written by Bob Seger
* "Onward, Christian Soldiers" by Sabine Baring-Gould and Arthur Sullivan
* "Over There" written by George M. Cohan
* "Palm Leaf Rag" composed by Scott Joplin
* "People Are Strange" written by The Doors
* "Pretty Vacant" written by Rotten / Matlock / Cook / Jones
* "Purple Haze" written and Performed by Jimi Hendrix
* "Say Si Si"
* "Sing, Sing, Sing" written by Louis Prima
* "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue"
* "Smiles" music by Lee Roberts, lyrics by J. Will Callahan
* "Somebody Loves Me" music by George Gershwin
* "Somebody to Love" written by Darby Slick and Grace Slick
* "Summertime" written by George Gershwin / Ira Gershwin, performed by Big Brother & the Holding Company
* "Sweet Georgia Brown" written by Bernie / Casey / Pinkard
* "Take Five" performed by Dave Brubeck Quartet
* "This Train" written and performed by Peter, Paul & Mary
* "Turn Me Loose" performed by Fabian
* "Up, Up and Away" written by Jimmy Webb
* "When The Saints Go Marching In"
* "You Send Me" written by Sam Cooke