The fungi are one of the great groups of living organisms, comparable in numbers of species, diversity and ecological significance to animals, plants and bacteria.
The Fungi, Second Edition provides a comprehensive introduction to the importance of fungi in the natural world and in practical applications, from a microbiological perspective. The diversity of fungi as organisms, their roles in relation to man, animals and plants are clearly described. In addition, the recent contributions of molecular biology to mycology are explained, in particular the revision of fungal classification and development of molecular methods for ecology, plant pathology and population genetics.
This invaluable work has been completely revised and updated to reflect the many important advances in the field since publication of the first edition. With new material on molecular aspects, this new and up-to-date edition of this highly successful title continues to be essential reading for students and researchers alike interested in this fascinating discipline.
New to the Second Edition:
* Modern classification based on molecular phylogeny
* Organelles and processes involved in hyphal growth
* Molecular understanding of mating type genes
* Section on medical and veterinary mycology
* Molecular methods in ecology and pathology
* Production of new drugs of fungal origin
* Question and answer sections
* Colour plate section
This and MANY more great ebooks can be found at MakeGreatMusic.net. Come check us out!