David Bowie - All Along The Bell Tower
Supreme Court Gardens, Perth, Western Australia 1st March 2004
Audio Source: audience
Lineage - Original: person unknown -} recording equipment unknown -} audio format unknown -} 320kb/s MP3s
Lineage - 2xS Remastering: 320kb/s MP3s -} .wav -} various audio editing/modifying software -} CD-R
Lineage - This Upload: CD-R -} EAC -} FLAC Frontend 3.1.1 (level eight) -} MWP
Number of Discs: 2
Running time: Disc One = 73m 44s / Disc Two = 54m 18s
Notes About This Upload:
- As mentioned in the lineage above, this recording was originally sourced from 320kb/s MP3s.
- There are cuts in some of the tracks, most noticeably during 'I've Been Waiting For You', 'All The Young Dudes', 'Days', 'Five Years' and 'Ziggy Stardust'. Some of these existed in the original MP3s and some were caused during 2xS's Remastering by the editing out of serious errors in the original MP3s.
- Overall, the frequencies are well represented across the spectrum. Nice punchy bass, the S's and T's are apparent in the vocals and the cymbals and hihat can be heard. There is obvious audience noise, most noticeable between songs and during the quieter songs.
- This recording is better than I remembered it. During the process of preparing this Upload I listened to each track in sequence and in real time through my PC's 24bit Soundblaster to a Yamaha amplifier and Koss Porta-Pro headphones and, for the most part, it ain't half bad. Being a soundboard/broadcast/pro-shot kinda guy these days, this audience recording (and I have it in my head that it was recorded from a position in the bleachers at the back of the venue) if I had to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give it a "not too bad". However, if I had to make a comparison to the Biff & Bear Productions of the Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide Reality gigs I'd give it a "don't make me laugh".
Notes about the 2xS Remastering process:
- conversion of MP3s to .wav using MusicMatch Jukebox.
- joining all tracks together using GoldWave v4.26.
- running the single, very large .wav file through Cool Edit Pro v2.1 for light hiss reduction and gentle low and high end boost.
- channel balance and volume adjustment using GoldWave v4.26.
- tracksplits using CDWave.
- editing out of errors and final tracksplit alignment using GoldWave v4.26.
- and probably other stuff that has been forgotten in the mists of time.
Notes About The Concert:
- The title comes from the fact that, during the beautification of the Swan River foreshore on the the CBD side, a carillon was build at the Barrack Street Jetty which is just across the road from the venue.
- We got the obligatory greeting "Perth you crazy motherfuckers, how are you?"
- During 'Fame' the stage lighting went out, leaving only the follow-spots. Bowie makes mention of this.
- At the end of 'The Loneliest Guy' a woman a few seats away from me started blowing bubbles. The security goons started closing in but backed off when Bowie said "I like this kind of shit".
- Having attended both the Sydney gigs I knew I'd be standing for the whole gig in Perth. My feet started hurting about 5 songs in and were knackered at the end of the night. However, considering where I was in the audience - just at the end of the catwalk where Bowie spent a lot of time - I was totally mesmerised and didn't feel the full effects of the pain until the end of the gig.
- I'd like to take this opportunity to again thank Downunder for using his BowieNet ticket pre-sale abilities to get the Sydney and Perth tickets for me. Although he was unable to attend the Perth gig, the girl from Manjimup who bought his ticket was ecstatic and very grateful. She was very cute too!
General Notes About This Upload:
- My global upload speed is ~10 so please be patient. This will be the only upload I'll do until at least one person completes. However, there may be times when the speed is throttled back to allow other internet stuff to happen - the missus checking her email for example.
- The computer I use for Torrents does, on occasion, suffer BSODs. If this happens when I'm not home or watching TV or during the night I'll disappear as a seeder. But, as Arnie says "I'll be back."
01. pre-recorded intro
02. Rebel Rebel
03. New Killer Star
06. I've Been Waiting For You
07. All The Young Dudes
08. China Girl
09. The Loneliest Guy
10. The Man Who Sold The World
11. Pablo Picasso
12. Hallo Spaceboy
14. Heathen (The Rays)
15. band intro
16. Under Pressure
17. Life On Mars?
01. Looking For Water
04. White Light/White Heat
05. Ashes To Ashes
06. I'm Afraid Of Americans
09. Try Some, Buy Some
10. Five Years
11. Suffragette City
12. Ziggy Stardust