History, Science Documentary narrated by David Malone and published by BBC in 2007
Broadcast: Wednesday 8 August 2007 10.05pm-11.35pm BBC 4
Recorded: Thursday 16 August 1am-2.30am
In this one-off documentary, David Malone looks at four brilliant mathematicians - Georg Cantor, Ludwig Boltzmann, Kurt Gödel and Alan Turing - whose genius has profoundly affected us, but which tragically drove them insane and eventually led to them all committing suicide.
The film also talks to the latest in the line of thinkers who have continued to pursue the question of whether there are things that mathematics and the human mind cannot know. They include Greg Chaitin, mathematician at the IBM TJ Watson Research Center, New York, and Roger Penrose.
Dangerous Knowledge tackles some of the profound questions about the true nature of reality that mathematical thinkers are still trying to answer today.
see notes below:1 documentary, only split for technical reasons. broadcast in 1, watch in 1, get both parts, don't start to watch pt2 before pt1.
1) God's messenger
The film begins with Georg Cantor, the great mathematician whose work proved to be the foundation for much of the 20th-century mathematics. He believed he was God's messenger and was eventually driven insane trying to prove his theories of infinity.
Ludwig Boltzmann's struggle to prove the existence of atoms and probability eventually drove him to suicide.
2) The Enigma
Kurt Gödel, the introverted confidant of Einstein, proved that there would always be problems which were outside human logic. His life ended in a sanatorium where he starved himself to death.
Finally, Alan Turing, the great Bletchley Park code breaker, father of computer science and homosexual, died trying to prove that some things are fundamentally unprovable.
GSpot v2.70a avi file details:
* Filename.....: BBC.Dangerous.Knowledge.1of2.2007.DVBC.XviD.MP3.www.mvgroup.org.avi
* Filesize.....: 585,075,498 bytes (2 parts of 560MB each)
* Runtime......: 44:43.000 (67075 frames)
* Video Codec..: XviD ISO MPEG-4 (B-VOP//)
* Video Bitrate: 1603 kbps
* Aspect Ratio.: 672x384 (1.750)
* Framerate....: 25.000 fps
* Bitstream....: Unpacked
* Audio Codec..: 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3
* Audio Bitrate: 127kbps 2ch VBR 48000Hz
* Language.....: English
1) Release Post
3) Related Documentaries
* Simply Complex
* Fermat's Last Theorem
* A Brief History of Time
* Absolute Zero
* An Experiment to Save the World
* Black Holes
* Black Holes and Black Magic
* Einstein's Biggest Blunder
* Elegant Universe
* Parallel Universes
* The Cosmos - A Beginner's Guide
* The Pleasure of Finding Things Out
* The Six Billion Dollar Experiment