1983 - TDK edition: 2006
Straight up, this is a very fine recital. Almost twenty years old to the day, World of Rhythm records the fabulously telepathic piano trio of Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, and Billy Cobham. Comparing this recording with two recently released Keith Jarrett videos (Standards and Standards II), World of Rhythm wins hands down.
The decade of the '80s is not a time I would associate with the traditional jazz piano trio. But here that trio is as practiced by three potently strong musical personalities. Herbie Hancock eschews his electronic trappings for this simple presentation of several of his best-known compositions. "Speak Like a Child", "Little Waltz", "Dolphin Dance" and "Eye of the Hurricane" all reveal their inner charm in this intimate setting.
Live at Palazzo del Congressi, Lugano, Italy, January 26, 1983
Herbie Hancock - piano
Ron Carter - Bass
Billy Cobham - Drums.
01. Toys - Herbie Hancock.
02. First Trip - Ron Carter.
03. Speak like a child - Herbie Hancock.
04. Little Waltz - Ron Carter.
05. Willow Weep for me - Ann Ronell.
06. Dolphin Dance - Herbie Hancock.
07. Ili' s Treasure - Billy Cobham.
08. Princess - Billy Cobham.
09. Eye of the hurricane - Herbie Hancock.
10. Walkin' - Richard Carpenter.
4:3 - NTSC*
* Please note that most common DVD-Player can handle nowadays any system. So, check you player ...
* Neue DVD-Player koennen NTSC, SECAM oder PAL-Aufnahme spielen. Bitte testen Sie Ihre Geraete.
* Considerad que los nuevos DVD de sobremesa pueden tratar NTSC/PAL o SECAM indistintamente.
LPCM Stereo - Natural sound/Music
Dolby Digital 5.1 - Natural sound/Music
DTS 5.1 - Natural sound/MusicDolby Digital 5.1 / 2.0 Mix