Lilith Fair was a concert tour and traveling music festival, founded by Canadian musician Sarah McLachlan, Nettwerk Music Group's Dan Fraser and Terry McBride, and New York talent agent Marty Diamond. The touring festival which took place during the summers of 1997 to 1999. It consisted solely of female solo artists and female-led bands, a concept unheard of in the music industry at that time. In its 3 years, Lilith Fair raised over $10M for women's charities throughout North America, helping to pave the way for female musicians the world over.
In 1996, Sarah McLachlan became frustrated with concert promoters and radio stations that refused to feature two female musicians in a row. Bucking conventional industry wisdom, she booked a successful tour for herself and Paula Cole. At least one of their appearances together - in McLachlan's home town, on September 14, 1996 - went by the name "Lilith Fair" and included performances by McLachlan, Cole, Lisa Loeb and Michelle McAdorey, formerly of Crash Vegas.
The next year, McLachlan founded the Lilith Fair tour, taking Lilith from the medieval Jewish legend that Lilith was Adam's first wife.
In 1997, Lilith Fair garnered a $16 million gross, making it the top-grossing of any touring festival. Among all concert tours for that year, it was the 16th highest grossing.
Because of its all-female line up, the festival received several nicknames, including "Breast-fest" and "Girlapalooza".
Lilith Fair – A Celebration of Women in Music 1998
1. Mississippi - Paula Cole
2. Scooter Boys - Indigo Girls
3. Sur Tes Pas - Autour de Lucie
4. Been It - The Cardigans
5. I Want - Dayna Manning
6. Four Leaf Clover - Abra Moore
7. Falling in Love - Lisa Loeb
8. Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - September 67
9. Payande - Lhasa
10. Eternal Flame - Susanna Hoffs
11. Rock in This Pocket (Song of David) - Suzanne Vega
12. Ladder - Joan Osborne
13. Building a Mystery - Sarah McLachlan
1. Water Is Wide - Indigo Girls, Jewel, Sarah McLachlan
2. Going Back to Harlan - Emmylou Harris
3. Wash My Hands - Meredith Brooks
4. Cain - Patty Griffin
5. I Don't Want to Think About It - Wild Strawberries
6. What Do You Hear in These Sounds - Dar Williams