The polar ice caps have melted, and the earth is covered by water. The remaining people travel the seas, in search of survival. Several different societies exist. The Mariner falls from his customary and solitary existence into having to care for a woman and a young girl while being pursued by the evil forces of the Deacon.
U.S. DVD, Theaterical and VHS versions run at 136 mins
International Director's Cut runs at 176 mins
Kevin Costner .... Mariner
Chaim Girafi .... Drifter (as Chaim Jeraffi)
Rick Aviles .... Gatesman
R.D. Call .... Enforcer
Zitto Kazann .... Elder/Survivor
Leonardo Cimino .... Elder
Zakes Mokae .... Priam
Luke Ka'ili Jr. .... Boy
Anthony DeMasters .... Boy
Willy Petrovic .... Boy
Jack Kehler .... Banker
Jeanne Tripplehorn .... Helen
Lanny Flaherty .... Trader
Robert A. Silverman .... Hydroholic
Gerard Murphy .... Nord
Some of the Added Footage:
* A Hydro Addict is trying to trade his hair for fresh Hydro. There are other people banging on the gates trying to get into the Atol.
* After the Mariner's capture at the Atol, the inhabitants of the Atol examine his belongings. Among them they find a ThighMaster, which they believe is an assassin's weapon used to strangle people, and a flute, which they think is used to distract an opponent. This is also where the Atol decides to dump the Mariner into the Recycling Pit.
* A scene that explains where exactly the Mariner got the jetski he uses to reach the Deacon's ship to rescue the little girl. The survivor's of the Atol massacre are ambushed by 2 of the Deacon's men on jetskis, the Mariner kills both men and takes their weapons and one jetski.
* A scene that shows how Gregor managed to find Helen and the Mariner after their boat was burned down.
* At least 10 minutes worth of new scenes that further detail life aboard the Deacon's ship. Including how they obtain their cigarettes and other equipment.
* A scene that reveals that the two skeletons found in the shack near the end of the movie are indeed the girl's parents instead of just letting the audience guess it.
* Scenes that show the Mariner building the new boat he uses the leave the island at the end of the movie.
* The Mariner is also given a name by Helen.
* We see Helen and Enola standing atop the cliff watching the Mariner depart before the films end credits. As they are standing there they uncover a plaque which tells us that they are at the peak of Mt. Everest.