Every fighter will tell you that conditioning is the most important tool in their arsenal. It doesn't matter if you have a killer triangle choke or a lightening-fast round kick; if you get tired in a fight then all your techniques go straight into the garbage. The goal with Vale Tudo or Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) conditioning is to train effectively and efficiently: if you can do your conditioning in a sports-specific manner then you will get more results faster.
Erik held the highly coveted Shooto light-heavyweight belt in Japan for over 5 years, so he knows first hand about fighting and conditioning. When he retired from fighting he started coaching, and now can often be seen cornering fighters in Pride and the UFC. Incidentally, the man helping Erik demonstrate many of the exercises in this video is Greg Nelson. Greg is the coach of Sean Sherk, who is known for his incredible conditioning and his very exciting fights in the UFC.
In this video Erik Paulson takes you through his unique conditioning exercises, specifically designed to put gas in the tank of a Mixed Martial Arts fighter. The sections of this DVD include:
* Resistance Cable Work. Strong legs, powerful hips, and explosive speed are vital in MMA. This is true whether you are punching, kicking, shooting or sprawling. Erik uses elastic cables to take sport-specific training to the next level.
* Focus Mitt Drills Specifically Designed for MMA. Too often MMA fighters separate their boxing, clinching and takedowns, training each of these areas in isolation. Erik's focus mitt drills are specifically geared towards blending these areas so you can train the way you fight.
* Head Control Drills. Head placement in the clinch can completely shut down your opponent's ability to take you down or clinch you effectively. Find out how Erik teaches and trains this critical aspect of MMA fighting.
* Resistance Core Exercises. Everyone knows that a strong core is vitally important for combative athletes. In this section Erik shows you how to train your core, AND do it sport-specifically so that you strengthen the actual techniques you use in sparring or competition.
* Punching Drills. Picking up where the focus mitt section left off, Erik addresses how to modify your punches, kicks and knee strikes to stop a grappler from taking you down. Drills to improve hand speed are also covered.
* The Ab Ball. Did you know that this common fitness tool can be used to develop sport specific movements as well as tight abdominals?
* The Heavy Bag. How to really use a punching bag for MMA training (as opposed to just punching it). These drills and exercises will make the actual fight seem like a walk in the park - they are very, very tiring.
* Medicine Ball. Plyometric exercises with the medicine ball to train explosive movements and rotational strength, which are difficult to train with conventional weight training.
* Power Wheel Work. This section of the DVD resulted in the the toughest core workout I have ever done - enough said!
* The Power Rope. How to correctly use a jump rope to make it an incredible anaerobic exercise that will also develop your footwork.
* Bonus MMA Training. Erik teaches shooting drills to make takedowns fast and instinctive. He also covers takedown entries, attacks from north-south position, guard passing and more.