You've heard the phrase said several times, it's the ultimate dream: to have a business runnning for you on autopilot.
While the theory sounds like an amazing type of business to run (that seems to promise a "freeing" type of lifestyle), it's not all really on "autopilot". Before you go and frown :( , I should note that it can be mostly on autopilot (so smile :) )
Here's why your business WILL NEVER be on autopilot for life:
1. Times change: technology changes, product standards change, people's tastes change, and so while your "autopilot" business may run nicely for anywhere from a few months to a few years, I wouldn't count on it lasting much longer than that (unless the autopilot business involves a growing business that is an updating product of course).
2. "Autopilot" still needs checking and maintenance - chances are if you have something running well for you on autopilot, you will not be satisfied with it just making whatever it's making if you see more potential in it. So you're going to be testing new ways of doing things and always trying to improve your best "autopilot businesses".
Here's why your business CAN be put on autopilot (for the most part):
Autopilot marketing tools: Find an autopilot traffic tool, find an autopilot sales tool, and find an autopilot conversion tool, and you have an autopilot business. Nice formula, eh? I'm not going to say it's 100% autopilot, but these types of tools can do most of the work for you, once you've put in the initial work to set it up, all you need to do is maintain it and let it do its thing. You can also improve the customer funnel if you want it to make you more money.
So what am I talking about with autopilot marketing tools?
1. Autopilot traffic tool - a few examples: Adwords (or other ad placement services), article marketing, video marketing, etc. - things like this allow you to set up streams of traffic and will work for you for at least a long while, then you just have to update it, and the idea is to keep setting up more streams of traffic, when you want to take a vacation it won't be a big deal.
2. Autopilot sales tool - Aweber (or other autoresponder / email marketing services) - when people are your subscribers, they can receive education and offers on a preset schedule, so you can set it, and yes, forget it. While you're hard building other parts of your business, your autoresponder builds a relationship with your list for you.
3. Autopilot conversion tool - Sales pages - you send your visitors via your email marketing or your video marketing and convert prospects into customers. You have your sales processor that takes orders for you 24 hours a day, and you're set, just watch the payment notifications come in (okay that sounds easy but you HAVE to set it up or you will NEVER have this...)
Is it easy to have an autopilot business? NO. Otherwise, everybody would have one. But then, no one would make much money if everyone had one. However, follow this formula for your niche, yes it takes work, no it doesn't take a long time, and get over your mental blocks and just take action and do it, and you will have your very own online autopilot business.
Don't look back a year from now and wonder to yourself why you never got started. Remember how I mentioned that times change? This is the formula up to date for 2008. Make it happen today and don't wait another second.