MediaPortal 1.1 Alpha August 2009
Full Media Center for Windows
(open source rival of MCE)
GNU license - free!
Supported Operating Systems (All others unsupported by installer)
# Windows XP 32-bit Edition with service pack 3
# Windows Media Center Edition 2005 with update rollup 2
# Windows Vista 32- and 64-bit with service pack 1
MediaPortal is an Open Source application ideal for turning your PC / TV into a very advanced Media Center. MediaPortal allows you to listen to your favorite music & radio, watch and store your videos and DVDs, view, schedule and record live TV as a digital video recorder and much much more.
My TV is the section for watching and recording TV programs and checking TV-guides. Recordings can be done directly as you watch or by using a timer.
My Radio allows you to tune your hardware receiver to local stations and even play Internet radio and video streams when you don’t have a TV or radio card installed. Most radio stations nowadays have a Internet version of their broadcasts.
My Music is the section for listening to music. It’s an advanced music player which can handle playlists, ID3 tags, automatic shuffle. It also provides a function to handle and automatically retrieve album art. You can also manually place art in selected folders.
My Videos is the central point for all kinds of video data. It will play movie clips and DVD’s, stack multipart movies and create playlists. IMDB support is built in to automatically retrieve movie information.
My Pictures is the image center. This is the place for digital captured images, scanned and downloaded pictures. Thumbnails, zoom and slideshow functions are among the features.
My Weather uses The Weather Channel’s Internet server to send local weather, forecast, and radar imagery to MediaPortal.
My Plugins displays all the enabled window plugins that are not shown in the Home screen. See included plugins and community plugins for an overview of MediaPortal plugins.
Handy settings can be adjusted here, such as UI/Screen calibration, slide show speed and transitions.
Detailed Feature List:
* Create your own skins, or choose one of the available skins!
* MediaPortal can easily be extended with extra plugins
* You decide which keys you want to use for which actions
* Internal support for several remote control (streamzap, MCE, redeye, winlirc, hauppauge, FireDTV)
* Windowed and fullscreen support
* Supports analog TV, DVB-C, DVB-T, DVB-S and ATSC
* HDTV and AC3 support
* Support for multiple tuners
* Record, watch, and timeshift Live TV
* Advanced recording scheduler:
- Record once
- Record now
- Daily o Weekly
- Weekdays (Mon-Fri)
- Every time a program appears on this TV channel
* Timeshifting,Watch, Pause, Rewind, FF, RW Live TV
* Advanced recording management:
- Handle conflicts
- Set recording priorities
- Quality settings / recording
- Transcode to WMD, XVID or MPG
- Diskmanagement auto deletes old and/or watched recordings
- Grab DVB-EPG & MHW-EPG directly for DVB
- Supports XMLTV
- Colors for genres
* TV Guide search
* TV Channel grouping
* Supports over > 10000 channels
* Auto channel tuning
* Normal OSD (On Screen Display during movies/tv)
* Special ZAP OSD (Shows description of what is playing currently on TV)
* Support for Teletext
* Standby control to put your HTPC sleeping. It will awake when there a recording needs to start
My Video / MyDVD
* Play any movie your PC has a codec for (divx, mpeg, matroska,...)
* All your movies will be stored in MediaPortal's video database
* View your movies by actors, genres, year, title
* Sort your movies by actors, genres, year, rating
* Automatically retrieves video art & info from IMDB
* Stacking/unstacking if your movie consists of multiple files
* Internal DVD player with menu's (you can also use an external DVD player)
* On Screen Display (OSD) for: Pause, Rewind, FastForward, Stop, Mute, Bookmarks, Switching Audio Streams/Subtitle languages...
* Resume from playback on next play
* Watch your pictures/photos
* Slideshow support with nice transitions
* Zoom in/out, rotate pictures (rotation is remembered next time)
* Pause, previous/next picture
* Delete picture(s)
* Background music, either songs from my music, or radio from my radio
* Auto thumbnail generation
* Sort in Name, Date, Size
* View in List, Icon or Big Icon display
* Ken Burns effect slideshow
* Filmstrip view
* View your music by artists, albums, genres, top100 or plain songs
* Sort your music in many ways like tracks, genre, filesize, artists, album,...
* Use visualisations from Windows ?Media Player 10
* Load, create & save playlists (.m3u, .pls, .b4u)
* Automaticlly gets album art & info for all your albums
* Automaticlly gets artist art & info for all your artists
* View by list, icons, and big icons
* Shuffle, repeat, FF, RW, pause,...
* Music ratings
* Party shuffle mode
* Search music for specific songs
* Display all your favorite songs in one screen
* Utilize Winamp, Foobar or iTunes plugins for music playback
* Listen to your favorite radio stations (FM, DVB or internet stream)
* Auto tuning (FM)
* Logo's for each radio station (manual process)
* Supply a friendly name for each radio station
* Internet radio station streaming (ASX or Shoutcast)
* Support for external radio tuner applications
* Auto start listening to your selected radio station when MediaPortal starts
* Show the latest weather information
* Support for multiple cities
* Current temperature, 3 Day Forecast
* Temperature (in degrees C/F)
* UV Index, Humity (%), Wind (mph/kph), etc
* Support for live images from internet, like:
- Satellite images
- Temperature images
- UV Index images
- Winds images
- Humidity images
- Precipitation images
* Launching external programs like:
- Email application
- Internet Browser
- IRC client
* Burner let's you burn all type of files and folders directly to CD-DVD from within the MediaPortal interface
* Showing RSS news feeds
* Read and send mail within MediaPortal
* Monitor computer hardware:
- CPU temperature
- Motherboard Temperature
- Hard disk Temperature
- Used Memory
- Used Virtual Memory
* Allow the PC automatically go to standby/hibernation and wakes it when there is a scheduled recording! Just like a real VCR!
* Has different alarm features
* You can even play included games like Tetris or Sudoku!