When you run a program on your computer, data flows from the hard disk to the program via read operations. The data is then processed and displayed, and finally flows back from the progam to the hard disk via write operations.
Sandboxie changes the rules such that write operations do not make it back to your hard disk.
* Intercept changes to both your files and registry settings, making it virtually impossible for any software to reach outside the sandbox.
* Traps cached browser items into the sandbox as a by-product of normal operation, so when you throw away the sandbox, all the history records and other side-effects of your browsing disappear as well.
Released on 30 June 2008.
These are the changes to Sandboxie since version 3.26.
* New translations:
o Translation to Finnish, contributed by pokpok
o Translation to German, contributed by Brummelchen
o Translation to Portuguese (Brasil), contributed by anonymous
o Translation to Turkish, contributed by Volkan Gezer
* Resolution for long-time problems and annoyances:
o SBIE1116 errors on Windows XP which prevented Sandboxie from starting.
o Sandboxed Outlook using incorrect account password.
o Sandboxed programs and Sandboxie Control immediately recognize new drive letters that appear (for example as a result of mounting a USB drive).
* Firefox 3:
o Added default exclusion for the Firefox database of phishing sites, urlclassifier*.sqlite files, to improve start-up time of sandboxed Firefox, and reduce the time needed to recreate this database when the sandbox is deleted.
* Usability improvements in Sandboxie Control:
o Real paths are displayed instead of the %placeholder% notation.
o Hiding SBIE messages through Sandboxie Control hides the message only for the detail specified in the message.
o Desktop icons do not flicker when Sandboxie Control window is visible.
o For Windows Vista, added more requests for UAC elevation where necessary.
* Further improvements to the following issues:
o Improved support for network shares exposed by Windows computers (including Quick and Immediate Recovery, and Direct and Full Access)
o There remain some difficulties in accessing network shares exposed by some NAS devices
o Full support for programs installing and using WinSxS assemblies on both Windows XP and Windows Vista
* Collection of smaller changes:
* Default Copy Limit Kb increased to 48MB from 32MB.
* Fewer temporary files are kept in the sandbox.
* Fixed PATH environment variable in sandboxed programs.
* Partially resolved conflict with Rising Antivirus 2008.
Homepage - http://www.sandboxie.com/
Enjoy this AWESOME application! ...and seed till ya bleed...