Description: It strikes me that "Buck Rogers" is almost like a male fantasy come to life. Think about it: Buck gets to take a nice, long five-hundred-year nap! I'm ecstatic if I can get a fifteen-minute nap on a weekend! When he wakes up, Buck is the smartest, most dynamic guy around. Never mind that in real life you would treat someone five centuries behind the times like something that escaped from the zoo. Everyone needs Buck to go on exciting missions, fight the bad guys, test exotic equipment and fly rocketships (and crash them -- I think out of five or six flights Buck makes in the serial, he only lands successfully once).
Now that that's out of the way...
"Buck Rogers," the serial, is merely average: better than some serials, not as good as others. It's inevitable to compare it to the "Flash Gordon" serials, and in that contest, "Buck Rogers" comes in second. Buster Crabbe essentially plays the same character as Buck and Flash, but he had more style and dash (okay, more "flash") in "Flash Gordon." Constance Moore's Wilma tries to be a more proactive character than Jean Rogers' Dale, but Rogers just seems to inhabit her character more (and those belly-baring costumes from the first "Flash" serial weren't hard on the eyes, either). You can't even begin to compare Anthony Warde's Killer Kane to Charles Middleton's Ming: Warde could have been any gangster from any generic crime movie, but Ming was an archetype of evil right up there with Fu Manchu.
"Buck Rogers" does provide the requisite thrills and generates its share of excitement, although the rocketship crashes get repetitive after a while (as I said before, almost every time Buck goes near a rocket, he crashes it). It's a decent enough story on its own merits, I suppose, but it does pale in comparison to the "Flash Gordon" trilogy.
Title: Buck Rogers
Alt Titles : Buck Rogers Conquers the UniverseUSA (video title), Buck Rogers: Destination SaturnUSA (recut version), Buck RogersFrance (), Polemos ton planiton, OGreece (),
Runtime: 237 mins
User Rating: 7.7
Tagline: Original cartoon strip by Dick Calkins and Phil Nolan - Based on the Buck Rogers newspaper feature owned and copyrighted by John F. Dille Co. (original posters)
Original cartoon strip by Dick Calkins and Phil Nolan - Based on the Buck Rogers newspaper feature owned and copyrighted by John F. Dille Co. (original posters)
12 AMAZING THRILL-THRONGED CHAPTERS!
You followed Buck Rogers adventures in the newspapers! You heard him on the radio! Now SEE HIM for the time in the most fantastic adventures ever filmed!
AMAZING EXPLOITS OF DEATH-DEFYING DARING!...Zooming from planet to planet in spark-sputtering space ships! Battling human robots! Conquering new worlds!
BUCK ROGERS BATTLES INVASION FROM FOREIGN PLANETS!...Space ships exploded by giant ray machines! Mountains crumbled by disintegrating machines!
• Ford Beebe
• Saul A. Goodkind
• Dick Calkins comic strip
• Norman S. Hall screenplay
• Philip Francis Nowlan based on the comic strip by (as Phil Nowlan)
• Ray Trampe screenplay
• Barney A. Sarecky associate producer (as Barney Sarecky)
Trailer (if any): Click here
Plot Outline: A pilot and his young passenger crash-land on a mountaintop and are put into suspended animation by a strange gas. They awake 500 years later to discover that the Earth is now ruled by a tyrannical despot called Killer Kane, and they lead a fight to overthrow him. Written by Anonymous Buck Rogers and Buddy Wade are in the middle of a trans-polar derrigible flight when they are caught in a blizzard and crash. Buddy then releases a special gas to keep them in suspended animation until a rescue party can arrive. However, an avalance covers the craft and the two are in suspended animation for 500 years. When they are found, they awake to find out that the world has been taken over by the outlaw army of Killer Kane. Along with Lieutenant Wilma Deering, Buck and Buddy join in the fight to overthrow Kane and with the help of Prince Tallen of Saturn and his forces, they eventually do and Earth is free of Kane's grip. Written by Brian Washington [email protected]}
• Buster Crabbe as Buck Rogers (as Larry 'Buster' Crabbe)
• Constance Moore as Wilma Deering
• Jackie Moran as George 'Buddy' Wade
• Jack Mulhall as Captain Rankin
• Anthony Warde as Killer Kane
• C. Montague Shaw as Professor Huer
• Guy Usher as Aldar
• William Gould as Air Marshal Kragg
• Philson Ahn as Prince Tallen
• Henry Brandon as Captain Laska
• Wheeler Oakman as Lieutenant Patten
• Kenne Duncan as Lieutenant Lacy (as Kenneth Duncan)
• Carleton Young as Scott
• Reed Howes as Captain Roberts
• Wade Boteler as Professor Wade (uncredited)
• Al Bridge as Dynamo Room Floor Guard (uncredited)
• Roy Butler as Control Officer (uncredited)
• Eddy Chandler as Captain of Dirigible [Ch. 1] (uncredited)
• Lane Chandler as Army official at Wade's lab (uncredited)
• Russ Clark as Lt. Carson [Chs. 10-11] (uncredited)
• Frank Ellis as Kane Soldier (uncredited)
• Jack Gardner as Prof. Huer's Lab Assistant (uncredited)
• Karl Hackett as Councillor Krenko (uncredited)
• Kenneth Harlan as Reporter at Wade's Lab (uncredited)
• John Harmon as Hidden City Air Controller (uncredited)
• Ben Lewis as Cell Guard [Ch. 10] (uncredited)
• Theodore Lorch as Kane's Council Member (uncredited)
• Eddie Parker as Council-Room Guard (uncredited)
• Stanley Price as Captain Martin / Zugg Man (uncredited)
• David Sharpe as Kane Pilot / Hidden City Sentry / Saturnian Lieutenant (uncredited)
Release: - Buck Rogers
Release Date: - 6 February 1939 (USA)
Imdb Rating: - 7.8/10 (278 votes)
Url: - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032290/
Genre: - Adventure / Family / Fantasy / Sci-Fi
Original Format:- Dvd9
Posted Format: - Dvd9, video-ts folder
File Size: - 7.64 Gb
Standard: - NTSC
Language: - English
Aspect: - 4 : 3
Chapters: - 12 episode serial
Runtime: - 237 minutes total
Burn Tested ? - Yes
Plot Outline: Buck Rogers and Buddy Wade are in the middle of a trans-polar derrigible flight when they are caught in a blizzard and crash. Buddy then releases a special gas to keep them in suspended animation until a rescue party can arrive. However, an avalance covers the craft and the two are in suspended animation for 500 years. When they are found, they awake to find out that the world has been taken over by the outlaw army of Killer Kane. Along with Lieutenant Wilma Deering, Buck and Buddy join in the fight to overthrow Kane and with the help of Prince Tallen of Saturn and his forces, they eventually do and Earth is free of Kane's grip.
Notes: - full rip, All regions, nothing removed or altered from the original